Monday, June 18, 2007

A Constant Reminder

I love being a dad. One of the highlights of my day is when my oldest son wakes up in the morning. He is now three years old and is fully potty trained. I say that because that means when he wakes up in the morning there is only one thing on his mind...pee pee! He usually wakes up sometime between 6:30 and 7 a.m., which is right in the middle of my quiet time, but I never mind the interruption. Typically, the time he wakes up is right in the middle of when I am praying for him and his two brothers. I am coming to realize that God is often using this interruption as a reminder of how important my task as a dad really is.

After my son goes pee pee, I help him back up into his bed and get some books for him to entertain himself so I can finish my time alone with the savior. I need that time and my son, even at three, understands this. But this brief 5 minute interlude in the middle of my devotional life has done as much to strengthen my faith as any book or method that I have tried previously. Knowing how precious my boys are to the heart of God makes me weak. Knowing that my penultimate task in life is to invest in them and their mother gives me the focus of knowing how to draw near to the heart of God for my mission and purpose in life. One primary way that I can bring God the greatest glory is by faithfully loving and SERVING my wife and children.

A daily prayer that I have is that I would never put my agenda or the needs of my employer above the needs of my family. Now, it is important to know that my employer is a local church. A constant reminder of the fact that my family is my ministry comes running down the hall every morning between 6:30 and 7 a.m. I can't wait till tomorrow!

No comments: