Thursday, June 21, 2007

Jesus Is Looking For A Few Good Slaves

When we talk about leadership, the last thought that comes to mind is slavery or servitude. In fact, quite the opposite is true. Most of us when given titles or positions of authority tend to think of the privileges and perks that come along with such titles. We develop an unsaid hierarchy in our minds that defines our relationships with other people. We use terms like, he or she is "under my ministry". What we fail to realize is that unless we are extremely careful titles, positions, higher salaries, etc. can actually be the worst things that ever happen to us. What we see as good, satan can actually use to render us odious and ineffective to the people with whom we minister.

In reality what marks a leader, a true leader, is not his title, salary, or perks, but how good of a slave he is for others. Lest you think I am making this up, lets look at what Jesus says...

And Jesus called them to him and said to them, "You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." - Mark 10:42-45 (ESV)


In other words, the higher up on Jesus ladder you go the more people you are to be a slave to. To accept the titles, salaries, and perks without embracing the slavery is to place yourself into satans hands. Now I know this sounds harsh, but let me share with you how I know this is true.

I am a title hog. I love to have titles, and recognition. Its been a weakness of mine since I was a wee lad. I also grew up being very ambitious and calculating. So if I saw a title that I wanted I would put on whatever face I needed to obtain that title. Now to be fair, there were many things I did growing up that I did because they were the right thing to do and because it pleased God. You can be sure, though, if I could attach an angle to such service, I did. It took a very hard setback in life for me to realize this and rest assured I have to fight the title urge everyday. In many ways I am thankful where I am now because not having to bear a title helps me to be able to gauge the purity of my intentions better. I am also trying to practice acts of service for others as often as I can. If done with the proper motive it can be quite a catharsis. I am getting really good at taking out trash and cleaning toilets.

So what does this have to do with you? If you have a ministry title, let me give you some things to help you fend off satan and keep things in perspective.

1. You may not have to work as many hours or deal with all the junk that people "under your ministry" have to. - Let that help you keep an attitude of gratitude and serve as a reminder to be a more diligent slave for others.

2. You may not be as qualified as some who are "under your ministry". - Let this humble you and help you to look at things from their perspective. Even when they are wrong.

3. You might have a ministry title but the ground is level at the foot of the cross. - Let this cause you to pause when you might be inclined to assert authority too quickly.

4. You might be called to do menial tasks in the service of those "under your ministry". - If this occurs, count it as a blessing and do it. If it doesn't happen enough then find menial tasks that you can perform for others on a regular basis.

Take it from a guy who is recovering from title addiction, there is nothing that will fend off satan and help you keep perspective more than a little bit of this...

Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God, rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet...
- John 13:3-5a(ESV)


No comments: