Monday, October 8, 2007

Why Ministry Stinks

Yesterday our church celebrated its 29th anniversary. Praise God for His faithfulness and his protection. Last night at our celebration service I was reminded once again why being in ministry stinks.
There is a young couple that goes to our church and recently they found out they were pregnant. To get quickly to the point, there were some complications that arose. Everything is fine now and mom and baby are in the clear, but I forgot about that for some odd reason last night. Since I forgot that point, my focus and attention was on them last night as we sang "Blessed Be Your Name", especially the part that says "You give and take away." My emotions were getting the better of me and I was wishing more than anything that at that moment I didn't know what that couple was going through. Had I remembered that all was well, I could have been rejoicing for that couple instead of letting my heart hurt for them.
The point of all of this is that whether good or bad in my human mind, God works His will. To me that makes ministry stink. As a human being I long for things to work out the way I feel they should. I don't like the fact that God receives glory and pleasure when things go bad. Not only do I not like it, I often times despise it. And yet God is calling me to love, praise and adore Him and celebrate His goodness in the storm as much as in sunshine.
In ministry you not only know about your own storms, but you also find out about way too many other people's as well. I'm sorry, but my storms are bad enough. I don't want to know about yours, but unfortunately I have to and I have to like it. That is why ministry stinks.

No comments: