Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Reformation Day

I strongly dislike halloween. There, I said it. Now all of you can put rocks in my candy bag. The reason why I dislike it, however, is not solely based on what happens during Halloween but what we have allowed halloween to eclipse. October the 31st should be remembered for a far greater reason.

490 years ago to this very day, Martin Luther authored a list of discussion points called the 95 Theses and nailed them to a church door (which was not impolite considering that church doors in those days were the equivalent of our modern day blogs). In a way you could say that Martin Luther was one of the first bloggers of note.

These 95 Theses fed a groundswell that had been brewing in Europe for many years. The result was a movement we call the Protestant Reformation. I could take hours to enumerate the many wonderful benefits that came about as a result of the Reformation including the restoration of the gospel as the message of salvation and the translation of the Bible into languages the masses could understand. So what am I getting at? Well, in my humble opinion halloween should be replaced with Reformation Day. Think of all the valuable lessons and prayers that we could incorporate to turn this pagan and commercial endeavor into a Kingdom building endeavor. The possibilities are limitless and have far more virtue and value than just pranks and candy. So its out with halloween and in with Reformation Day! Who is with me?

2 comments:

kd said...

Last year I had a reformation party with my girls on Halloween. We baked cookies, ate soup and bread, and watched Luther. It was a great night. I loved it. So, I have been watching the movie this week as well. I miss my girls though - no one to celebrate Reformation Day with me. We paid great tribute in chapel.
Hey, your book is coming back in the mail, the blog is written. Thanks!

Mike Hall said...

KD,

Thanks for setting the example for how we should replace halloween with Reformation Day. I look forward to reading the review of "The Thrill.."