Monday, September 10, 2007

Football and Faith

In the latest edition of Christianity Today, there is an article that piqued my interest quite a bit. The article is all about our culture's fascination with football and specifically pro football in this piece.

I will admit that this article convicted the mess out of me. As I have written here and elsewhere, I have an extreme love for football, specifically as it relates to my beloved Crimson Tide. Anyone who knows me well would be well within their right to say that it borders on idolatry at best, but in actuality travels way past full blown levels.

I appreciate the writer of this article because he too is an over zealous fan. He can relate so readily to the one addiction I will probably never conquer and that made his words all that more difficult to take. Read the article and you'll understand what I am saying. This article wasn't bashing having a love for things like football, it was just a necessary reminder to keep things in perspective. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Another interesting part of the article was the writer's childhood fascination with Joe Namath, or Joe Willie as he was referred to in my house. I am an Alabama fan because of my dad. I don't remember what age I was, but very early on in my life, his passion for Alabama football became mine, and so far the family curse is continuing with both mine and my brother's little boy's. I could set and listen for hours, still can, to Dad tell stories about him and his dad going to games when he was little. He was able to see Joe Namath as he led Alabama to victory upon victory. Because those stories were real to him, they became real to me and I feel like I experienced them personally.

Although my idoloatry is a curse, it is one that I am proud to share with my Dad, and I wouldn't go back and trade the memories I have of he and I sharing all those Saturday afternoon's together for nothing.

No comments: