Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Bad Girls Come From Bad Dad's


I have always struggled with why some young ladies (and women in general) act the way they do. Why is it that some young ladies have confidence, are polite, well-spoken, chaste, and virtuous while others live lives that could pass for a Jerry Springer episode? The older I get, the more I believe that bad girls come from bad fathers.

A stable fatherly presence in the home is not just crucial for young men, it is crucial for young ladies too. Fathers are the classroom where a young girl learns how to relate to other men. If a young lady has had a loving, supportive, and affectionate dad, she is more likely to be confident, loving, nurturing, and supportive. I have even come to the point where I can tell in about 10 to 15 minutes if the lady I am speaking to had a good relationship with her father. It's very telling.

There are other societal indicators that demonstrate the importance of a father to the well-being of a daughter. One study commissioned by the National PTA found...

  • Girls who lived with their biological fathers throughout their lives, and whose fathers spent more time caring for them during the their first five years of life, had later onset of puberty by the seventh grade.
  • In contrast, daughters from homes where fathers were either absent or dysfunctional experienced puberty relatively early.
  • Other research shows it is likely for girls with highly involved, present-in-the-home fathers to begin sex and dating at a later age
There are no two ways about it, fathers set the tone for the future happiness of their daughters. They also are one of the greatest factors in what type of man a daughter will date and marry. A father who teaches gentleness and character to his daughter sets her up to find a man who will treat her as good or better than he did.

On a more practical note, as a single man, I find it more difficult than ever to make acquaintances with women who have a healthy disposition towards members of the opposite sex. They are out there but rare, and the wise Christian, single, man will snatch them up quickly. I am so disappointed when I am introduced to an attractive young lady who within minutes begins to smoke, or use improper language or who just has no grace or gentleness. I don't know if God will ever bless me with a daughter, but if He does I pray that I will do everything I can to set her and her future husband up for success. It is my prayer that more dads will endeavor to do the same with the precious daughters that God has given them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that little girls and then young ladies are afraid of letting their dads down.