Monday, July 30, 2007

A Third Great Awakening

Revival is an often discussed topic among pastors, seminarians, and amateur theologians. Everybody wants revival but not many are convinced that it is likely or even possible. It is true if you look at our country today there are many things that will quickly lead you to despair. The culture that drives the marketplace in America is an amalgam of post-modern, hedonistic, narcissism.


Yet for all of the evil that exists in our land, I am convinced that there is a remnant that could unleash another great awakening. My optimism is centered around the trend among 30 and 40 something pastors, seminary professors, and denominational leaders who are not satisfied with the status quo. I equate this theological restlessness with the humanist movement that occured on the dawn of the Reformation. Like our spiritual forefathers Huss, Luther, Calvin, and others, we are seeking to go Ad Fontes or "back to the sources". More and more this younger generation of evangelicals are voicing their dissatisfaction with church tradition that is more rooted in the early days of the 20th century than in the early days of the 1st century. It never ceases to amaze me when an older pastor or denominational leader speaks "ex cathedra" about the "old fashioned" days when in fact what he is referring to, compared to our history, could be considered novel. We don't need novel we need purity and simplicity two traits found in abundance in the early church at Jerusalem and in the pulpits of 18th century New England.


I hope that this restlessness never ceases. I hope that we never shirk from asking the tough questions. I hope that we continually hold our current methodology up to the mirror of God's Word (especially passages like Acts 2) and have the courage to change what doesn't belong. I know that this sounds idealistic and maybe even a tad bit naive. Nonetheless, let me share my hope that if this type of transparency, and honesty begins to flow from the pulpits of our land, a new great awakening is sure to follow.

“I assert that nothing ever comes to pass without a cause.”

- Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758)

No comments: