Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sex May Sell, But The Church Shouldn't Be A Market!


I confess that my perspective on modesty may be a bit strict. I am a recovering pharisee. When I was growing up girls and guys weren't even allowed to swim together because that was considered mixed bathing. (Funny I never saw any soap in the pool. Hmmm?) Having been since converted to the ranks of the reformed, however, I am happy to view all things through the lens of grace.


More and more, I find that some of the guidelines I used to follow in an attempt to win God's favor I am returning to because of God's favor. One of these guidelines is that women should dress modestly. I'm sure at this point many of you may be rolling your eyes and thinking: Here it comes, another tirade on short-shorts and bikini's. Actually I would like to examine this issue from a two institutions perspective and see if we can in an environment of grace find a way to encourage one another. So let me direct this post to two separate parties...

To Husbands, Fathers, Pastors, and Men in general - You have a spiritual responsibility to protect and preserve the purity of the women that God has placed in your care.

1.Make sure that your own heart and mind remains pure. Do whatever it takes!!! If you need any encouragement in this consult two sources 1. The Bible - Philippians 4:8,1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19, Proverbs 6:25-28; Ezekiel 20:30; Ephesians 4:19, and 2. My post on Saturday July 14. 2007.

2. Be the man and share the truth in love when you daughter, wife, etc. is wearing something that is inappropriate.

3. Encourage our ladies when they set a good example and always love them and protect their emotional tenderness.

To Wives, Mothers, Daughters, Youth Leaders, Teachers, and Ladies in general - You have a spiritual responsibility to protect your brothers in Christ from stumbling.

1. Have a healthy view of your own femininity like that found in Proverbs 31. (No you don't have to be perfect, you just need to be godly)

2. Dress modestly. Let your apparel not distract us guys from your true beauty which is internal not external. - 1 Timothy 2:9

3. Help steer us guys away from situations that might cause us to stumble. In case you haven't figured it out ladies, we men are a little clueless sometimes. We need you to "have our backs" occasionally.

Okay, let me close by saying that despite the over sexualized culture in which we live, there are some things about which we can be encouraged. One good example of this is the article that inspired me to write this post. It was entitled Girls Gone Mild? and was posted on the ABC News website on July 20th. Go by and check it out. There are also some helpful websites and other resources listed at the end of the article.

Lets do everything we can to make the church a safe haven for both men and women to escape the pervading promiscuity in the world around us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a great reminder and a great post. Thanks!!