Monday, February 25, 2008

Crazy Thoughts

Something that Mike posted last week got me thinking. Mike commented on a conversation that he was made aware of between a student and a former professor that had left him alarmed. It got me to thinking, "What would my college and seminary professors think of me if they knew where I stood theologically and philosophically in regards to the church and to student ministry?" I dare say they would be shocked.

Honestly, some would be shocked that I was thinking at all. That statement is as genuine as I can say it. I was not known in my academic pursuits for being one to take academic pursuits seriously. I was the guy who never participated in theological or philosophical "discussions" because I thought they were just stupid. If things starting getting tense in a class, I was likely to begin climbing under my desk to curl up in the fetal position. It wasn't that I thought these issues weren't worth dialoguing about, it was more that I knew that each time these issues came up, no real dialogue was going to take place.

I wrote a post last year talking about how I was glad that in both my undergrad at LU and in my seminary at SEBTS, I was blessed to have professors, for the most part, who never tried to force their theological views down my throat. I praise God for that. It has helped me to become what I am today in that realm. In that area, I was encouraged to search the scriptures and to yield to the Spirit for guidance. However, one bone I would have to pick with them would be in regards to ministry philosophy and methodology. In that area, there was not a lot of room for debate.

I was a student in the bigger is better, more the merrier, era of student ministry training. I don't really remember being taught what real ministry looked like. I don't remember discussing James 1 in any youth class. I don't remember a whole lot of discussion about equipping families to assume their God given authority in the life of their teenager. As a matter of fact, most all that I heard was the exact opposite.

And so I am left to wonder. If I had to have a conversation about theology and philosophy in regards to the church and to student ministry, how would that conversation end? I would pray there would be some good dialogue, but honestly, I don't know how hopeful I would be.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Hi guys,
I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago, and I have been enjoying the writing. I know I sometimes wonder if anyone is actually reading my blog, so I thought I would let you know that I am reading yours. Keep it up!
-Jenn

Blake said...

Jen,
Thanks so much for your comments. It is definitely good to know.