Monday, November 12, 2007

"Lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut!"

My good friend Steve Wright has a way with words. He has many sayings that I am quite fond of, but this one is easily in my top 5. For my seminary graduation gift over three years ago, my church gave me a copy of The Valley of Vision edited by Arthur Bennett. This is a book of Puritan prayers and it usually makes me feel like the title of today's post. Whenever I need to be reminded of my unworthiness, I pull out this book and get my daily dose of humility. Here is a small sample of one that I read this morning...

"Of all hypocrties, grant that I may not be an evangelical hypocrite,
who sins more safely because grace abounds,
who tells his lusts that Christ's blood cleanseth them,
who reasons that God cannot cast him into hell, for he is saved,
who loves evangelical preaching, churches, Christians, but lives unholily."
-Paradoxes, p. 72
Lately my prayer has been that I would learn to take a more serious look at my sin. If you are looking for a great tool to aid in this discovery, I would recommend this collection. Just make sure that you put the razor blades away and get any depression medicine you may need ready.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a title. I have read this book as well and the title pretty much sums it up.

Anonymous said...

What a great title. I have read this book as well and this title pretty much sums it up. Great thoughts.

kd said...

I agree with the book - fantastic. I have said recently that a day isn't a good day unless I'm convicted of some sin in my life. The Spirit has HIS way in my life - I pray that I would never grow deaf to His leading. I love the Valley of Vision - it is a great tool. Thanks for sharing!