Monday, October 15, 2007

Just being honest...

As Mike and I set about promoting the newly released book reThink I feel it is necessary to admit a couple of things. First and foremost this book is written by my boss, Steve Wright. Steve is the student pastor at Providence Baptist Church in Raleigh, NC. This is where I serve as middle school pastor and where Mike leads the discipleship arm of our student ministry. Whenever your boss writes a book and you have any sort of platform to promote it, you ought to do so. That is a secondary reason for honesty here.
A primary reason for honesty is that not only is Steve my boss, he is my mentor and one of my greatest friends. I met Steve just over 12 years ago when I was an 18 year old seeking to find my way back to my faith. Steve, Tina and their two kids at that time, had recently come to my "home" church to serve as student pastor. My sister, who was active there, saw the many errors in my life and had a heart to see her big brother loving Jesus again. She went to Steve and he stuck one of his leaches (who still to this day is one of my best friends) on me and 12 years later Steve still can't get rid of me.
Mike and I have written much over the last few months about the state of student ministry to be sure, but larger picture the state of the church in general. The goal of this book is to get our church leaders today to rethink the way they do ministry.
I want to encourage anyone in ministry to read this book and to make sure that all of their friends in ministry read this book. I want this to happen not because I want my friends book to do well, but because honestly, we really do need to rethink the way we do things.

If you would like to see what others are saying about this book click here. If you would like to purchase a copy click here.

No comments: