Monday, August 20, 2007

A Cry from the Fatherless

“It may be hard for some father’s not to have a son, but it is much harder for a son not to have a father.”- S.D. Gilbert
Three boys. Wow! As of 11 days ago I am the father of three boys. Asher, Caleb and Nathaniel Hickman have me for a dad. Now before you start sending your sympathy wishes to them, let me make one statement. Blake Leslie Hickman will do whatever it takes to make sure those boys know their dad.

Many people see the above quote and automatically assume that it is in reference to single parent homes. Unfortunately, that is not the case. One of the saddest things in our culture is the rate of fatherless homes where the father is still present. One thing that we need to make sure of is that we are not adding to the rise of that rate. Are we making our kids a top priority? Are we being intentional in how we participate in their lives? Are we having conversations with them with no ulterior motives? Are we telling them we love them with no strings attached?

It is an understatement to say that our kids need us involved in their lives. How we are involved means a lot. If you are a father of a daughter, don’t think this lets you off the hook. You could just as easily substitute daughter where you see son in the quote. Trust me. As excited as I am to have three boys, I would have loved to have a daughter. The bottom line is that our kids need us in their lives. They may say and display actions that communicate differently, but they want and need us in their lives. We can’t afford to let this training ground that God has given us go to waste. We need to take action.

1 comment:

Bari Hickman said...

We are so blessed Blake, b/c without our dad, what would we have done? I know that you are going to be the BEST dad ever, and I am so proud of you and the man and daddy-not father, BIG DIFFERENCE!!-that you have become and are going to be! I look so foward to being able to see you bless those boys lives and know that you love them-they will not even have a question in their minds, "Does my daddy love me?" Because I know that you are going to show them -not just tell them, they will have no question! I could not be more proud to be your sister! I love you, and am so proud that you are my brother-another way I know, is the compassion and love that you have shown to me. And I am just your sis! You are one of my hero's Blake, and I know that I have never told you that, but you are amazing! All my love~Barrett Claire