Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Farewell To A Servant Of God


It is with much sadness that I make this special tribute to a man that will be sorely missed. Shortly after noon today Rev. Jerry Falwell went home to be with the Lord. His untimely death will be mourned by many people in the coming days.

Jerry Falwell was a man of vision and determination. He wasn't always right but he never let his failures keep him from dreaming how God could use him to be salt and light in a very dark and tasteless world. He knew what it mean to lay it all on the line for the kingdom.

On a more personal note, Jerry Falwell is a big part of why I decided to pursue ministry as a vocation. I grew up an independent, fundamental, Bible-believing, King Jimmy only Baptist. I remember getting home from church every Sunday night and making grilled cheese sandwiches and watching the Old Time Gospel Hour. I would listen as Jerry railed against sin and compromise. When you are forbidden to go to movies or watch much TV, you have to find your heroes where you can. For me, I wanted to be like Jerry and truthfully, I could have picked a much worse model to follow. Even though as an adult I have set my sights on loftier figures, (Jonathan Edwards, Billy Graham, Martin Luther, etc.) I will always remember the inspiration that this kid from the country got from Pastor Jerry.

The thing that will always impress me about Jerry was that he never forgot his heritage. When the Southern Baptist Convention had its conservative resurgence in the 80's and 90's, Jerry was right there following alongside them. He even brought Thomas Road and Liberty University into the convention. I didn't come around as quickly as Jerry but end the end I found my way back to my SBC heritage and discovered a part of my past that I am now very proud to own. Jerry blazed the trail for many "fighting fundies" and helped them to realize that they should practice, "
In Essentials, Unity; in Non-essentials, Liberty; in All Things, Charity". I will never forget the ministry of Jerry Falwell and I hope that after hugging Jesus today, that he got the opportunity to sit down with the saints of old and take his place among them.

No comments: